Menu

About Me  *    At The Table  *    Cultivation  *    Tradition  *   The Hair and Now  *   Good Business

Watermelon Salad

~Sunday, October 5, 2014

Baked, broiled, burnedno, I don’t mean foodI’m talking about my mental state, due to the relentless triple digit climate in SoCal this fall!  My black suede boots, and cable-knit sweaters patiently await, as scorching temperatures continue to dictate strappy sandals, and breezy blouses. Additionally, as I attempt to withstand wilting in this weather, I find myself in the month of October still tossing together summer salads for dinner. 

To the rescue!this watermelon salad recipe will cool you down, yet perk you up with every bite.  If you’ve never tasted ricotta salata before, you are also in for an additional treat when you taste this delectable Italian cheese I’ve chosen as a personal twist in my version of watermelon salad.  This semi-firm cheese has a perfect texture for grating, or cubing, and with its delicate hint of salt is a pleasing substitute for Feta when you’re in the mood for Italian.


Watermelon Salad

Ingredients (Serves 4 to 6)

½ seedless watermelon, cut into bite-size pieces (save the other half for a Watermelon Smoothie in the morning!  Please refer to the recipe in my August 26, 2012 posting.)
¼ cup fresh lime juice
½ red onion, diced
¼ cup torn fresh mint leaves
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
5 ounces ricotta salata, coarsely chopped


Place all the ingredients in a large salad bowl. Toss together gently and serve. (This salad tastes best at room temperature.)


Freshly grated ricotta salata also pairs perfectly with the delicacy of a light tomato sauce and angel hair pasta dish.