Menu

About Me  *    At The Table  *    Cultivation  *    Tradition  *   The Hair and Now  *   Good Business

Mountains and Meatballs


~Sunday, February 3, 2013

It is no coincidence my husband and I live in a small village nestled against the foothills of the mountains every weekend as kids, when my sister and I would arrive home from school on Friday afternoons, our bags would be packed already, and we’d climb into the car with my mom and dad for the familiar drive up the windy highway to our cabin in the San Gabriel Mountains.  Of course, it took becoming an adult for me to realize how good we had it: romping through the forest; hanging around the local arcades; being dropped off at the community lake to play on paddle boards and slides all day, and where I ultimately learned how to swim, (not at swim lessons back home where the teacher threw me in a pool as a terrorized kid which only served to scar me with a lasting phobia of the water!). 

Now, as an adult, the mountains still hold a special place in my heart because of my childhood memories, and I live so close to the mountains I can head out my front door for a hike at any time.  Unfortunately, becoming an adult also comes with its many responsibilities, and visits to my childhood cabin are far and few between.  My parents still make the periodic cabin maintenance and repair trip every couple months; however, last weekend on one of these intended trips, the rainy weather forced them indoors all day to relax and enjoy the warmth of the fireplace and the comfort of homemade soup! True to her nature, my mom whipped up a new recipe and—yes!—jotted down all the details to share with me so I could in turn share them with you! :

Ingredients (Serves 8 to 10)

3 tablespoons olive oil
½ onion, coarsely chopped
2 celery stalks
2 carrots, coarsely chopped
3 medium red-skinned potatoes cut into ½-inch cubes
1 small head cauliflower, coarsely chopped
¼ teaspoon dried red chili pepper flakes
¼ cup flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
4 cups chicken broth
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese

To prepare meatballs:

8 ounces lean ground beef
1 tablespoon flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 teaspoon lemon zest
½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
½ cup dried breadcrumbs
1 egg, lightly beaten
3 cups water
1 chicken bouillon cube

In a large pot, heat olive oil over a medium flame and sauté onion, celery, and carrots for 10 minutes; then adding potatoes and cauliflower to sauté 5 additional minutes.  Mix in red chili pepper flakes, parsley, and chicken broth.  Bring ingredients to a boil; cover and reduce to a simmer.

Meanwhile, use hands to mix ground beef with the remaining ingredients (adding egg last); form teaspoon size meatballs and set aside.  In a medium size pot, bring 3 cups of water to a boil and completely dissolve bouillon cube.  Drop meatballs into the water and adjust flame to a simmer and cook approximately 5 minutes.  Drain water from pot and add meatballs to soup mixture, stirring in 2 additional cups of warm water.  Continue cooking for 20 minutes and adjust salt to taste.

Serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.